Small changes you can make today to save on your electricity bill

With electricity becoming more expensive as the months pass by, we can’t afford to take chances when it comes to our electricity habits. Making small changes can make a big difference to the amount you see on your energy bill each month.

At Solar Service Group, we’re here to help. Here are four quick tips on saving electricity that are so simple you could probably implement them today!

  1. Use appliances during the day

As solar energy is only generated during the day when the sun is up, it’s important to make use of your panels in the daylight hours. If you want to save money on your bill, try to run your appliances during the day.

Most modern washing machines and dishwashers can be set on a timer to run at a preferred time. If you set this time to during the day, your appliances will be running on free solar power. If possible, set your appliance to the ‘eco-friendly’ setting to get even more benefits.

  1. Turn off standby mode

Any electrical appliance left on standby such as your TV, computer, gaming console or kitchen appliances will consume electricity. It may not seem like much, but if you leave multiple appliances on standby it adds up. Aim to fully switch off any devices and/or appliances when not in use.

  1. Swap light bulbs to LEDs

Lighting is one of the largest cost factors when it comes to electricity usage. The average light bulb uses electricity to produce about 10% light, and the remaining 90% is lost as heat.

Modern LEDs use approximately all the electricity to make light. Therefore, less heat escapes and they stay cool compared to the average light bulb. A good quality LED can produce the same amount of light as a light bulb, with less electricity making it more cost effective.

  1. Analyse your home energy usage

If you have a solar system installed with monitoring, you’ll be able to see how and when you use the most electricity. Perhaps you notice your electricity spikes at 7pm every second night. Then, you remember that you do the washing at that time. With this information, you can determine any potential problems that may be causing your bill to increase.

It could be several things; maybe your washing machine needs to be upgraded to a more energy friendly model or maybe you could switch to using cold water and an eco-friendly cycle.

Insights into energy management data can help you understand how your household uses electricity so that you can make an informed decision.

To find out how much you could save with our solar solutions, call Solar Service Group today on 1300 40 41 42.